Sunday 1 March 2015

About me, teaching and Mr Spock

Tästä suomenkieliseen versioon: http://erilaistaenglantia.blogspot.fi/2015/03/minusta-englanninopetuksesta-ja-mr_8.html

I wanted to be a teacher ever since I was little. The main reason was my primary school teacher Mrs Niemimaa. She was kind, strict and knew everything. On April Fool's day, she tricked us that we would have to study the whole psalm book for the next day. We believed her, such was her authority. When she retired, she handed each of her students a postcard. In mine, she called us her disciples and wished me luck in whatever I would embark on. I was heartbroken and cried my eyes out.


I am here in Sweden with my favourite author, the amazing Astrid Lindgren
What has been between then and now?  Growing love for the English language and literature. Losing my heart already as a kid to things like Commodore64, Angus MacGyver, Zelda, super hero comics and Star Trek TNG. A year of au pairing for some great people in Fleet, England.  Falling in love with the country and staying in or around London for five wonderful years. Two gorgeous daughters. Being a stay-at-home mum. English, Russian, pedagogical and random literary studies at the University of Helsinki. Translation work, private teaching in English and Russian with some brilliant students.

With these students, I learnt to integrate interests into studying - with one we studied mining, with another, the Moomins, the third needed to get to know London politics for her job, fourth needed psychology to pass a degree and so on.


Nowadays, my blended family includes five children and two dogs. I am still a trekkie, a gamer and a bookworm. I still enjoy science fiction and fantasy. I love playing table-top role-playing games. And now I work as a vocational school English teacher.

This weekend, Leonard Nimoy (aka Mr Spock) passed away. In the seventies, he wanted to distance himself from his Star Trek character, even writing an autobiography called "I am not Spock" in 1975. Two decades later, volume two came out. It was called "I am Spock." He lived long (and prospered!) but even the longest life is pretty short in the end. I think there should still be time to take the path less travelled. So remember, dear reader (as the formidable J.R.R. Tolkien once wrote): Not all those who wander are lost.


Welcome to my blog!

:)
Venla

Live long and prosper!

ps I'd love to have a chat with Mrs Niemimaa now, ask for advice and swap stories. She passed away a long time ago, but the memories remain. I'm sure she wouldn't approve of my black nail polish but she would still be proud of me the way only our most beloved teachers can.




My salute to Mr Spock


No comments:

Post a Comment